Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Cinnamon Candy Corn Cookie Pops


candy corn goodness.

all wrapped up and ready for the kiddos.


fancy-schmancy version with pepitas.


one happy buckaroo! this is how I bribed him to take the pic.

In our house, Halloween marks the beginning of the holiday season. This time of year I ramp up and get ready for the chaos that will ensue in the next coming months. Don't get me wrong, I
LOVE it, chaos AND ALL! I'm one of those people. That doesn't mean I still don't feel a little pressured to be super mommy and get it all done. In fact, I fall behind. A lot. Still...I try. That's gotta count for something, no?

This year I have extra guilt because I've spent the last month developing all sorts of Halloween treats for work (like these and these) and left my sons nursery school party snack for the last minute. Luckily I have a few tricks up my sleeve. Yup. That's right! I have Cookie Pops up my sleeve! LOL.

The dough for these cookies is basic, but very tasty (if I do say so myself). It's a yummy sugar cookie dough which lends itself nicely to many different flavorings and spices. In this case, I flavored them using cinnamon and vanilla extract and decorated with candy corn. Feel free to add your favorite extract or spice and top it with any seasonal appropriate sprinkle or candy. How about dipping them in chocolate and rolling them in crushed candy canes for Christmas? I bet that would be good. OK, lemme stop. I even made some of the pops more, "adult" and topped them with pepitas (aka pumpkin seeds). Very fancy!

I made these with my two year old. It's the perfect recipe to get the kids involved (they love inserting the sticks and topping with candies).

**Read on after the recipe for some more fantastic Halloween treats.



Cinnamon Candy Corn Cookie Pops

Makes 18 pops

Ingredients:

1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 large egg
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon salt
18 wooden popsicle sticks
candy corn for topping



Preparation:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment or a Silpat liner.

2. In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream together butter and sugars on low speed. Add in egg and vanilla. In another bowl, combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Add flur mixture to butter mixture until dough comes together, about 1 minutes. Roll dough into walnut sized balls place onto prepared baking sheets, about 2 inches apart (cookies won't spread much).

3. Top each ball of dough with one candy corn and press slightly to flatten. Gently insert popsicle sticks into each ball. Bake for 8-10 minutes. Allow cookies to cool on baking sheets before removing with a thin spatula.



Note: As you can see, I used some whole wheat flour in this recipe but I assure you, I wasn't trying to make these healthy. Truth be told, I ran out of white flour so I gave these a try with a small amount of wheat flour. Luckily, they tasted great! Feel free to use all white flour in this recipe, just don't use more than 1/2 cup of wheat flour for these. The texture will not be the same.



More fun Halloween Recipes:


2 comments:

  1. My husband would just fall over from happiness from these. you just combined his 2 favorite treats.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! Candy corn isnt the healthiest treat but let's face it, all bets are off on Halloween. Dont forget to check out my other treats on Kaboose.com

    These pops are great too!

    http://recipes.slides.kaboose.com/313-halloween-party-30-spooky-tasty-recipes/4

    Thanks for the comment! Happy Halloween!

    Christina

    ReplyDelete