Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Two ways with oatmeal

The weather in NYC has been unpredictable to say the least. Well, that's not true, it's been predictably crappy and I can't seem to get my body to believe it's summer. So, I am still making all of my winter comfort foods like oatmeal. I love oatmeal and my family and I eat it almost every morning. It has been my sons favorite breakfast since he was 7 months old. Even in the summer, the warm creamy texture is comforting and filling. It’s just what I need to carry me through my day. And despite tasting delicious, oatmeal is is extremely healthy for you. Check out Mr Breakfast for a great Top 10 list on the benefits of eating oatmeal (plus the site is really cool).

If hot oatmeal in the Summer isn't your thing, my Chilled Raspberry Dream Oatmeal is just what you need. My two ways with oatmeal adds two simple recipes to your breakfast bag of tricks. Now you will always be prepared no matter what the weather.





Apple Cinnamon Date Oatmeal was a recipe that I created for my son. I wanted to get some Dates in his diet because they are filled with B-Complex Vitamins, Potassium, Magnesium and Iron along with many other vitamins and minerals. Plus, Dates taste really, really yummy. The combination of the creaminess of the oatmeal, the cinnamon and the dates is a real winner and I know your whole family will love it.


Apple Cinnamon Date Oatmeal
Serves 2 adults or about 6-8 baby portions

2 c water (or milk. such as cow, soy, almond, etc...)
1/8 tsp salt (you can omit for the younger babies)
1 c organic, old fashioned rolled oats
1/4 c organic pitted dates, cut into 1/4 inch pieces
1 large organic Fuji apple, peeled and shredded (or whatever apple is your fave)
1 tsp organic cinnamon


Bring water(milk) and salt to a boil. Stir in oats, dates, shredded apple and cinnamon. Cook for about 5-7 minutes or until oatmeal has thickened and dates have plumped up a bit.

For adults, serve immediately topped with some chopped dates.

Enjoy!


For Little Ones: After oatmeal cools, toss into food processor and puree to desired consistency. Add more water/milk if necessary. Place into freezable containers.

To Serve your Little One: Defrost slightly, remove from container and pop into microwave or heat in a small saucepan with a few extra tablespoons of milk/ water.

TIP: I like to top my sons oatmeal with a drizzle of Organic Kefir or yogurt. It add some extra creaminess and some added protein and calcium.

TIP:
Swap the apple for a Pear and the dates for raisins. Just remember to grind up those raisins and any dried fruit really well if serving to small babies especially when they still don't have any teeth like my son. : )


Enjoy!






Chilled Raspberry Dream Oatmeal is a recipe that I created after having a chilled oatmeal at a restaurant near my house. It is a fantastic way to have your oatmeal even on the hottest summer days and is even super as a dessert. You can use any fruit and any milk (cow or soy work really well too), even water works fine. It's a perfect breakfast for a busy mama or dada because it's ready and waiting for you in the AM.


Chilled Raspberry Dream Oatmeal Breakfast Parfaits
Serves 4adults or about 12 (4 oz) portions for baby

2 c organic, old fashioned rolled oats
2 c plain, unsweetened almond milk (or water or your fave milk, such as cow, soy etc...)
1 pint organic raspberries, pureed in a blender or food processor (save a few for garnish)
1 tsp organic cinnamon


In bowl combine all ingredients and mix thoroughly. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.

Place into 2 preferably clear mugs (it looks prettier) and layer with the whole raspberries you reserved at the beginning.

Serve cold.

Enjoy!

TIP: Swap the raspberry puree for about 1/2 c of your favorite organic fruit puree.


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment