Monday, June 29, 2009

Roasted Cinnamon Sweet Potato White Bean Mash




Making my son's baby food from scratch is satisfying for many reasons. One really great one is that it allows me to blur the lines between what I serve my little one and what I eat myself. I mean, come on, when was the last time you looked at one of those jarred baby foods and said, "mmmm...that's something I can serve to company." ? LOL.

Busy parents are always looking for ways to save time and money and this recipe does both. This is a recipe that I can make for guests and also serve to my 10 month old. The combination of white beans and roasted sweet potatoes makes for an excellent dip for a party and an amazing meal for your little one. The beans give this puree a nice creamy texture and they add an inexpensive protein punch to baby’s meal. A protein boost from beans means it's also perfect for the vegetarians in your family.

Sweet potatoes are often a favorite first food for baby and adding the mild tasting white beans enhances the nutrients without changing the taste. Perfect for even the pickiest eaters. Add in the onions and a little salt and pepper and you have a wonderful fall appetizer for a holiday party. Serve warm with a pat of butter and you have an awesome side dish for that roasted chicken or turkey (Thanksgiving is only 5 months away people-LOL). I enjoy serving it chilled as a dip with some toasted pita chips.


Note: Omit onions, salt and pepper for young babies.



Roasted Cinnamon Sweet Potato White Bean Mash

3 large organic sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
1 ½ teaspoons, extra virgin olive oil
1 medium organic Vidallia onion, cut into 1-inch chunks
1 tsp organic cinnamon
1 can organic white beans, rinsed and drained (I like to use Canellini beans but navy or butter work well too)
salt and pepper to taste
water, if necessary to adjust consistency



1)-Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil.

2)-Toss potatoes and onions with olive oil and bake for 30-40 minutes, tossing with a spatula halfway through to encourage even browning. Potatoes should be fork tender when they are ready.

3)-Allow potatoes and onions to cool slightly before tossing into a food processor along with beans, cinnamon, salt, pepper and water (if needed). Puree until desired consistency is reached. Serve chilled or warm as a baby puree or with pita chips as an awesome party dip.

Enjoy!


TIP: Swap the sweet potato for butternut squash.

TIP: Roast 1 clove of garlic alongside the potatoes and onions for an extra layer of flavor.

5 comments:

  1. Wow - looks good! So glad I found your blog...I'm always looking for recipes easy enough for me to actually make while I stay home with my twin babies

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful! So glad you found me too! Twins! Wow! That's awesome! I am sure you are super busy but having an amazing time. Congrats. Check back here often for more recipes to feed those foodies in training.

    -chris

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds fantastic! I can't wait to try it out. Most baby recipes for sweet potatoes just call for plain sweet potato mash with no spices but my baby doesn't really like it. So I did a google search on a sweet potato mash recipe and found your blog.

    ReplyDelete