Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Let them eat pancakes!

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Pancakes

When I was pregnant I was not into sweets at all, which is odd for me. After I had the baby, the sweet tooth came back big time. In order to satisfy my sweet tooth but still attempt to have a healthy breakfast, I started eating Oatmeal with chocolate chips sprinkled on it. This recipe is based on that oatmeal recipe. I know, I know! Chocolate for breakfast? It only works out to about a tablespoon of chocolate chips per pancake and in my eyes it is the same as pouring syrup over your cakes. This recipe is really yummy and really healthy due to the oats and the whole wheat flour.

Chocolate not your thing? See my swap outs at the bottom. Enjoy!


Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Pancakes
Makes 6 large pancakes

½ c quick cooking oats
2 large eggs, beaten
½ tsp vanilla extract
1 ½ c milk (you can use, cow, rice, almond, soy or even buttermilk)
1 ¼ c whole wheat flour
1 ½ tsps baking powder
½ tsp salt
1 tbsps sugar
½ tsp cinnamon
½-3/4c semi-sweet chocolate chips (depending on how many chips you like in each)
Butter or vegetable oil to oil the pan


In a small bowl combine the oats with the milk, vanilla extract and the beaten egg and set aside.

In another medium sized bowl, combine the whole-wheat flour, baking powder, salt, sugar, cinnamon and whisk to combine.

Combine the wet and the dry ingredients and stir until just combined.

Place your griddle or non-stick skillet over medium heat. Oil/butter the skillet or griddle.

Ladle about ½ c of the pancake mixture onto the grill for each pancake making sure to space them at lest 2 inches apart. (Note: This will make large pancakes . Use less mixture for each cake if you want mini pancakes). Sprinkle some of the chocolate chips over the pancake (about a tablespoon per pancake). Cook the pancake until bubbles start to form on the surface and flip with a thin, flexible spatula. Cook for about 15-20 seconds on the other side.

Serve immediately.


Variations:

Swap out the chocolate chips for some blueberries to make Blueberry Oatmeal Pancakes.

Mash up 1 medium banana and add it to the mixture for some Chocolatey Banana Pancakes or leave the chocolate out entirely and just make Oatmeal Banana Pancakes.


4 comments:

  1. These look fantastic. I'm pretty much a fan of most things oatmeal chocolate. I'm thinking I may want to spread a little strawberry jam on these...

    ReplyDelete